Tuesday, November 10, 2009

"Urban" Outfitters...or Rural Crime Scene?

I received the new Urban Outfitters catalog in the mail today. I have never seen so many beautiful young people look so miserable. Seriously, I feel like I need to call someone as a mandated reporter. Why should misery sell clothes? It's not just the misery, it's the settings. Urban Outfitters is never photographed in an urban setting. It's always some creepy place in the country somewhere,  or near the water. Perfect crime scene areas! Combine that with all the retro/antique camera stuff they're hocking, and the whole thing is pretty spooky if you ask me.

Wait...honey? You okay? Did you have too much to drink? Did someone put something IN your drink?

You should lie down before you hurt yourself. 


That's better.

It also doesn't make a lot of sense why there even is a print catalog. There are scarce details for any of the items, and many of them refer to the website for more information. Why not just cut out the middleman? I think a catalog is for ordering from, or what's the point? The only thing this is good for to me is to get a better look at the stuff they're selling, and they're not giving me that. I guess I forgot - there are stores to go to. None near where I live, which is why I forgot. I might go to a store if I saw something I liked in the catalog. I guess that's the angle. Not much bang for their buck. Print isn't cheap.

Hey, that is NOT the kind of attention I was talking about! Not that kind of cheap. We've got our old Brittany back, times have changed. You can't go flashin' your hoo-haw for just anyone like that anymore.

 
Well congratulations, you put on some underwear. That doesn't mean pants optional, missy. 

Whatever, fine, go out, don't wear pants, get pneumonia at the beach, see if I care. It's your life!

 
Oooh ho ho, I see! Pneumonia isn't the only thing you can catch at the beach with no pants. 
 
You know that the male models of Urban Outfitters are always fully clothed, right? Usually they're wearing layers even. LAYERS! And you girls prance around with your frail little t & a sticking out. Don't you feel that is sexist and unfair? 

sigh. I wasn't asking you, we don't pay you to think. No, I don't know where your one-hitter went, go check behind the beach shack. 

There you go. Well, it SHOULD make you mad! Remind these people that you're supposed to be selling clothes. If someone wants to buy underage sex they should go to jail.

A tip: They're selling very expensive Polaroid film and cameras through Urban Outfitters. Don't buy it. I read recently that Polaroid announced that they will be making film again at the beginning of the new year. First they'll roll out black and white film only, and then color will come later. Don't spend $30 or more for a pack of film. If you want, you can buy Polaroid note cards, that have dreamy pictures on them. They did all the work! They sell them at UO for $14.95. There's also a book about Polaroid (that might be cheaper elsewhere, though).


I have purchased housewares from Urban Outfitters in the past (paper lantern, album cover frame, etc.) and socks. The socks really caught my eye in the catalog. What catches my eye every time is a sale, and they have one. Of course, retailers are on to us sale lovers now. I've noticed that now more than ever a sale is sometimes a starting price. I've seen clothing items in stores this season go up in price after they were on sale. The thing that I love about online is that you can sort by price and find out where the real bargains are.

Excuse me for a minute...

I know honey, I thought he was gay too. That's what usually happens when I find someone attractive. You just can't trust these Urban Outfitter shoots! Just be glad they didn't make you do something else to that pole.

I'm not blown away by the value of the socks at UO right now, but they do have a lot of cute new socks/leggings/tights. I'm all about warm over the knee socks, living in the frozen north and being a skirt and boot wearer. The only ones I really would like in my collection are the most expensive (figures) Betsy Johnson socks.

Betsey Johnson Flirty Over The Knee Sock $28. Available in Sea Foam and Black. I like them both.





Betsey Johnson Ski Bunny Striped Over The Knee $30, available in sea foam and red. Both cute! I love the bow, it's a nice touch.

 
Super-cute! If it's a casual day at home or with friends, I'll wear my crazy socks with a skirt and mary jane shoes to show them off. If it's not a casual day, they hide beneath long boots now that winter is here. So every day is a good day to wear fun socks, as far as I'm concerned.


Yeah, like that! I guess socks don't cheer up EVERYBODY.

Oh.


Sorry to hear that. They have a book that addresses your problem at UO, just in time for the holidays.

Don't blame me. I told you to keep your pants on.

4 comments:

Shell said...

OMG! You had me near tears your comments were so dead on! I agree that UO catalog is pretty much pointless and almost as bad as an American Apparel ad. I do however, love the Betsy Johnson socks. So fun!

Tundrababe said...

Hee, thanks! :-)

TMFA said...

OMG, loving these looks.

sweetarchivia said...

Those Betsy Johnson over the knee socks are just adorable!