Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Staying warm this winter

I need a new jacket to conquer the harsh Minnesotan winter. My jackets are either too heavy or too light, I need one that is just right. A little bird told me that alpaca is 3-5 times warmer than wool, and is hypoallergenic. I'm allergic to wool, but can still wear it with a good lining. The less wool the better, though, and I hear alpaca is lighter too! I'm seeing some blended fabrics that look ever so chic. Look at this pretty jacket (on sale for $199):


Or this sophisticated looking coat, with faux mink fur accents, also on sale! Only *cough* $339.

It reminds me a little of something you might see in Dr. Zhivago.  Oh, how I love that film. I watched it again the last time it ran on TCM, sometime this month. What glorious clothes! I love Geraldine Chapman's pink coat and muff the size of a sheep:


Fabulous! The scene where she arrives by train looking all Hello Kitty pink in an ocean of gray and soot, I don't get why the good Doctor would want Laura instead. Well, I do, but...I guess Dr. Zhivago wasn't really into fashion so much. He was a tortured soul, and could not write poetry about the one  woman in Russia who wears pastels. Look at how good everyone looks though, even when they're shooting each other!



No comments: